May 12, 2022
Dear MSR 2022 Participants and Presenters,
On behalf of the 51 members of the Organizing Committee, we are looking forward to welcoming you to the 19th International Conference on Mining Software Repositories (MSR 2022), which is collocated with the 44th International Conference on Software Engineering (ICSE 2022). The program is composed of two events—a virtual event, which will happen next week (May 18-20) and an in-person event, which will happen in Pittsburgh, the USA on May 23-24. This will be the first in-person MSR event since the start of the pandemic. We especially would like to warmly welcome many who are attending MSR for the first time, including those who join us as part of the Widening Participation Program (https://conf.researchr.org/attending/msr-2022/widening).
Based on the information that ICSE shared on May 6 (the official last day to register for the virtual or in-person MSR), we are happy to inform you that more than 400 people have registered for the virtual event, and among those, more than 80 have registered for the in-person event. In case you know of friends and colleagues who registered after May 6, please forward this email to them.
MSR 2022 Virtual Program
MSR 2022 virtual program will feature:
- A Keynote talk entitled "From Models to Systems: Rethinking the Role of Software Engineering for Machine Learning" by Christian Kästner
- A Most Influential Paper award talk for the MSR 2012 paper "GHTorrent: Github's Data from a Firehose" by Georgios Gousios and Diomidis Spinellis
- An MSR Foundational Contribution Award talk by Dongmei Zhang and Tao Xie
- Six Vision and Reflection talks by Daniela Damian, Ahmed E. Hassan, Foutse Khomh, Audris Mockus, Denae Ford Robinson, and Alexander Serebrenik.
- Sixteen blended technical sessions (Session 1-16) featuring more than 100 talks from the Technical, Data and Tool Showcase, Industry, and Registered Report Tracks
- A dedicated session for the Hackathon track
- A dedicated session for the Mining Challenge track
- Four tutorials from both academia and industry (JetBrains)
- Two Newcomer Orientation sessions featuring 8 mentors: Bram Adams, Bodin Chinthanet, Fatemeh Fard, Li Li, Ali Ouni, Christoph Treude, Xin Xia, and Tianyi Zhang
- A shadow PC retrospective session
- A virtual coffee session
- More than twenty awards (https://conf.researchr.org/info/msr-2022/awards) will be featured during the Opening Session
A summary of the above program is available on the following page (please scroll to the end of the page):
Detailed information about the virtual program is available on the following page:
We would like to encourage you to attend as many live sessions as possible. However, if you miss some sessions, the sessions (except Newcomer Orientation I and II) will be recorded, and you can watch the recorded videos on Midspace. It is also possible to send direct messages to authors using the Search and Chat feature of Midspace.
Midspace Setup and Usage Information
The MSR 2022 virtual event will take place on an online platform called Midspace and Zoom (linked from Midspace; for the Newcomer Orientation I and II Sessions). You should have received an email from Midspace (firstname.lastname@example.org) with the subject "Join to attend ICSE 2022". The email should mention that you have been given access to ICSE 2022 (MSR is run in conjunction with ICSE). Please follow the link in that email to set up your account in Midspace.
In case you did not receive the Midspace invitation email, please check your spam folder. If it is not there too, please let the virtualization co-chairs (Ferdian, Felipe, and Mahmoud; in cc) know as soon as possible.
Please refer to the following page for detailed information on how you can use Midspace – more information may be added in the next few days:
Access to Papers
The MSR proceedings are handled through ICSE and IEEE, and they are not available at this time. We were told they should become available soon, but we do not have an estimate at this time on when they will become available. Most authors have included a link to a preprint on researchr.org (https://conf.researchr.org/program/msr-2022/program-msr-2022/). If you are an author and you haven't posted your paper on researchr.org, we encourage you to do so before the conference starts.
Information for Presenters of Blended Technical Sessions (Session 1-16), Hackathon Session, and Mining Challenge Session
As informed earlier, the following are the presentation time for the different tracks:
- Technical track (regular paper): 7 minutes
- Industry track: 7 minutes
- Hackathon track: 5 minutes
- Technical track (short paper), Data and Tool Showcase track, Registered Report track: 4 minutes
The presentation will be given live and in case of technical issues, a video that the presenter has prepared will be played. If you have not uploaded your video, please do so ASAP. Note that all Blended Technical Sessions, Hackathon and Mining Challenge Session this year will operate as "video-chat" sessions (similar to Zoom sessions) and this means that there is no "backstage" (that was there in last year's MSR). So please do not worry if you don't see one for your sessions, since it does not exist.After all presentations in a session are delivered, there will be a discussion and Q&A part.
Please log in to and join the Midspace room 20 minutes ahead of the start time of any session in which you are presenting. Please stay until the end of the 50-minute session as questions will be asked only at the end of the session.
If you are not familiar with Midspace, please watch the following training sessions on how to use Midspace (from ICSE):
- Training session 1: https://us06web.zoom.us/rec/share/pumSh2jbK-PicRj48EbrXfPQLLUk4WXTrND1RqJX4txe57AU7ZvuZwNNtHH38HBM.NUON1bKITvjZ_Dus (Passcode: xfX&.H9A)
- Training session 2: https://us06web.zoom.us/rec/share/lFTNL_6GZaye1rz_-Og4E4srAOLUdwbzlu0mTYXfq-eI0bNI-Xw1QlAVusKMl5-R._DZCIiWpn-W07SBS (Passcode: cTU8*hET)
Thank you very much for your active participation and we are looking forward to welcoming you soon to the virtual MSR 2022 program!
David, General Chair
Shane and Nicole, Program Co-Chairs
Ferdian, Felipe, and Mahmoud, Hybridization (Virtual) Co-Chairs
On behalf of
MSR 2022 Organization Team