From the beginning of the computer age, people have sought easier ways to learn, express, and understand computational ideas. Whether this meant moving from punch cards to textual languages, or command lines to graphical UIs, the quest to make computation easier to express, manipulate, and understand by a broader group of people is an ongoing challenge.
The IEEE Symposium on Visual Languages and Human-Centric Computing is the premier international forum for research on this topic. Established in 1984, the mission of the conference is to support the design, theory, application, and evaluation of computing technologies and languages for programming, modeling, and communicating, which are easier to learn, use, and understand by people.
The 2022 symposium is scheduled to take place September 12-16 in Rome, Italy. Our special emphasis for 2022 is Human-Centric AI. VL/HCC 2022 is 100% Sponsored by IEEE Computer Society Technical Committee on Multimedia Computing (TCMC).
VL/HCC is indexed in Scopus, DBLP, IEEE Explore, WoS.
The Symposium is planned to be in presence. In any case, we are monitoring the Covid situation and will act according to decisions of the authorities to insure the safest and widest participation.
- Creating Responsible and Human-Centered AI - Saleema Amershi
- The Power of Diagrams: Observation, Inference and Overspecificity - Gem Stapleton
For the activities at DIAG (Graduate Consortium), masks are mandatory to enter the Department, and so is temperature check (no entrance if temperature above 37.5).
For the activities at the Auditorium Antonianum (VL/HCC main conference and joint session with Diagrams) masks are recommended in crowded areas, so participants may have them on hand.
Proceeding at IEEE Xplore (paper links (DOI) are also in the program)
- VL/HCC 2021 St. Louis, Missouri, USA (converted to all-digital)
- VL/HCC 2020 Dunedin, New Zealand (converted to all-digital)
- VL/HCC 2019 Memphis, Tennessee, USA
- VL/HCC 2018 Lisbon, Portugal
- VL/HCC 2017 Raleigh, North Carolina, USA
- VL/HCC 2016 Cambridge, UK
- VL/HCC 2015* Atlanta, Georgia, USA
- VL/HCC 2014* Melbourne, Australia
- VL/HCC 2013* San Jose, California, USA
- VL/HCC 2012 Innsbruck, Austria
- VL/HCC 2011 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
- VL/HCC 2010* Leganés, Comunidad de Madrid, Spain
- VL/HCC 2009 Corvallis, Oregon, USA
- VL/HCC 2008* Herrsching am Ammersee, Germany
- VL/HCC 2007* Coeur d’Alène, Idaho, USA
- VL/HCC 2006* Brighton, United Kingdom
- VL/HCC 2005* Dallas, Texas, USA
- VL/HCC 2004* Rome, Italy
- HCC 2003* Auckland, New Zealand
- HCC 2002* Arlington, Virginia, USA
- HCC 2001* Stresa, Italy
- VL 2000 Seattle, Washington, USA
- VL 1999* Tokyo, Japan
- VL 1998* Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
- VL 1997* Capri, Italy
- VL 1996* Boulder, Colorado, USA
- VL 1995* Darmstadt, Germany
* Via the Internet Archive