The ICT4S 2022 Doctoral Symposium is a one-day event to be held on June 13th, 2022 in connection to the ICT4S 2022 conference in Plovdiv, Bulgaria. The symposium will bring together doctoral students working in all areas of ICT for Sustainability and give them the opportunity to present and discuss their research in a constructive and friendly international atmosphere.
Each student will be given an opportunity to present his or her research project and receive constructive feedback from senior and junior researchers, and phd-student peers, from the interdisciplinary field of ICT for sustainability. The doctoral symposium is run in a highly interactive and collegial format.
The Doctoral Symposium welcomes any doctoral student who has already settled on a dissertation topic and whose doctoral research will benefit from external feedback.
To apply as a student participant to the Doctoral Symposium, you need to submit a participation statement. Submissions should cover the following points:
- A one-paragraph summary in the style of an abstract for a regular paper
- Your situation, i.e., the university doctoral program context in which your work is being conducted (Department, year of study, industry involvement, etc.)
- Context and motivation that drives your dissertation research
- Background (key works related to your research)
- Research objectives/goals/questions
- Your research approach and methods, including relevant rationale
- Results to date
- Dissertation status and next steps
- A short statement of expected benefits of participation
Note: The sections of your submission do not have to follow the outlined structure, but they must have similar content. If you are at a relatively early stage of your research, you might have some difficulty addressing all of the content requirements, but you should attempt to do so as well as you can. Your submission should contain no proprietary or confidential material and should cite no proprietary or confidential publications.
Each submission is limited to a maximum of 2500 words, not including text, appendices, figures, and references. Submissions that are too long will be desk rejected. Submissions should NOT be anonymous. However, the confidentiality of submissions will be maintained during the review process. Submissions must be authored exclusively by the PhD candidate carrying out the research.
Submit a PDF-file of your submission in the “[ICT4S’22] Doctoral Symposium” track in EasyChair.
Participants in the symposium will be selected via a curation process by the Doctoral Symposium Committee. The following criteria will be used:
- The relevance of the research to the ICT4S field
- As a group, the accepted candidates will exhibit a diversity of backgrounds and topics
- The stage of the research and its suitability for the Doctoral Symposium
- The quality of the submission, e.g., clarity, precision, and critical reflection