After the successful editions of Journal-first tracks at previous ESEM editions, ESEM has formed partnerships with prestigious software engineering journals to more formally incorporate journal-first papers into the ESEM program. Through this partnership, authors of journal-first papers accepted in the partnering journals can apply to present their work at ESEM. These presentations will allow the authors to speak directly to their peers, thus increasing awareness of the work, and will provide additional exciting content to the ESEM program.
The journals that have partnered with ESEM are:
- Empirical Software Engineering
- Information and Software Technology
- Journal of Systems and Software
- IEEE Software
In addition to the general scope of the conference, journal-first presentation proposals submitted to ESEM 2021 must observe the following criteria:
- The journal paper was accepted to one of the participating journals no earlier than July 1st, 2019.
- The paper is a full paper published in one of the partnering journals, i.e. it is not a short paper, commentary, editorial, note, opinion paper, special issue introduction.
- The paper reports clearly new research results (technical as well as “in practice”/industrial applications are eligible), or presents novel contributions that significantly extend and were not previously reported in prior work.
- The paper does not extend prior work solely with additional proofs or algorithms (or other such details presented for completeness), or minor enhancements or variants of the results shown in the prior work.
- The paper does not repurpose materials previously published at a conference to target software professionals.
- The paper has not been presented at and is not under consideration for journal-first programs of other conferences or previous ESEM conferences.
If in doubt about paper eligibility please contact the track chair directly. Depending on the number of submissions to the journal first track the track chair might have to select which subset of eligible submissions that are selected for presentation at the conference. There is no guarantee of acceptance even if all criteria above are fulfilled.
How to Submit
Submissions to this track are limited to 2 pages presentation proposals (that are used only for the selection process) consisting of the following information: paper title, authors, abstract, the name of the journal that accepted the paper, pointer to the original paper, and the justification for why this work is relevant to the ESEM audience.
These Journal-First paper presentation proposals must be submitted through EasyChair by selecting the track “Journal-First Papers.” They will not be part of the proceedings.
All submissions must be written in English and must be submitted via EasyChair (https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=esem2021) in the PDF format, and they must be formatted according to the ACM proceedings template, which can be found at ACM Proceedings Template (https://www.acm.org/publications/proceedings-template).