The international ICT4S conference brings together leading researchers in ICT for Sustainability with government and industry representatives with an interest in using, analysing, designing and deploying ICT for environmental and social sustainability. The conference aims to create discussion and movement towards fundamental change in ICT systems among researchers focusing on ICT effects on sustainability and developers of sustainable ICT systems or applications.
To provide a broad forum for reporting on scientific progress as well as practical experiences on ICT for sustainability, ICT4S 2024 invites research paper submissions that range from well-founded technical papers, to exploratory, empirical or application papers. We welcome original papers reporting on research, design, development, case studies, and experience and empirical reports in the field of ICT4S. The types of papers expected include:
- Technical papers describe original and rigorous solutions to significant sustainability issues. A technical paper should clearly describe the problem addressed, the relevant state-of-the-art, the scientifically-founded solution, and the impact and benefits of the contribution. Appropriate examples, synthetic or otherwise, should be used to explain all aspects of the contribution.
- Exploratory papers describe new, non-conventional ICT and sustainability research positions, solutions or approaches. These papers should challenge the status-quo and describe visionary ways of innovating or using ICT for sustainability. They must clearly describe the limitations in the current state-of-the-art and rigorously present their approach, clearly demonstrating and discussing its relevance, correctness, and significance.
- Application papers provide a realistic and verifiable picture of current state-of-the-art practices in ICT and sustainability, and explore the problems encountered by industries, communities, or other adopters of these practices. Contributions should describe and analyze the application of ICT and sustainability, including identifying challenges, insights, opportunities, and innovative solutions arising from the practical deployment of sustainable tools and techniques.
- Empirical Evaluation papers evaluate existing problem cases or scientifically validate proposed solutions through, for example, empirical studies, experiments, case studies, or simulations. The topic of the evaluation presented in the paper must be clearly stated and motivated. The research method must be sound and appropriate. The results must highlight the advances found, but also the current gaps and challenges.
We welcome other types of paper submission that help to challenge and propose solutions to the current practices in ICT4S. We particularly welcome submission types that support innovative hybrid experiences.
ICT4S 2024 will follow a double-blind review process for the Research Papers track.
All submitted papers will be reviewed by three experts, including members of the program committee. Papers will be evaluated (in accordance with their type) based on their originality (e.g., novelty, new perspectives, different approaches), significance, rigour, and appropriate comparison to related work, and general presentation of the overall contribution. Since the ICT4S conference is also a place where researchers and practitioners can exchange personal perspectives on values and impact, particular attention will be given to the explicit description and the significance of how the work has or would positively impact any aspect of sustainability of the environment, society, or economy.
For every paper submitted, at least one author from each paper will be expected to be available to review for ICT4S2024. Submissions should report on substantially new material, with no more than 30% material derived from prior published works. The submission should represent the intellectual work of the authors. Any use of computational systems, e.g. large-language models such as ChatGPT or text-to-image models such as Dall-E, in the generation of the intellectual work should be appropriately acknowledged.
ICT4S 2024 seeks submissions to the Research Papers track on diverse topics related to ICT for sustainability, including, but not limited to:
- Sustainable software engineering
- ICT-induced behavioral and societal change
- Smart cyber-physical systems (grids, city, home, farming)
- Digitalisation and AI
- Potential of ICT for economic growth and decentralization
- Green E-Commerce
- ICT and circular economy
- Sustainability-driven resilience
- Social sustainability implications, contributions and limitations of ICT
- Sustainability in data centers and high-performance computing
- Design principles and exemplars for sustainable ICT
- Art and education in ICT for sustainability
Papers should be submitted electronically via EasyChair.
Select the “[ICT4S’24] Research Track" and submit your abstract prior to the full paper by the deadline stated, to allow their allocation to reviewers. Papers should be submitted in IEEE conference proceedings format. Each paper is limited to 10 pages including the main text, figures, tables, and appendices. Two more pages containing only references are permitted. Papers that are too long or violate the formatting instructions will be automatically rejected. All submissions must be original, unpublished, and not submitted simultaneously for publication elsewhere.
At least one author of each accepted Research Track paper is expected to register for the conference, either physically or virtually. Registered authors of accepted Research Track papers will be allocated a slot during the conference to present their work. Presented Research Track papers will be published in the conference proceedings.
ICT4S 2024 will have the proceedings published by Conference Publishing Services (CPS). Accepted submissions will be submitted to IEEE Xplore and the IEEE Computer Society Digital Library. Content will be submitted to the indexing companies for possible indexing. Indexing services are independent organizations, and CPS cannot guarantee that any particular abstract or index entry will be included in Ei Compendex or any other indexing service.
More information on Journals First, Workshops, Demos, and other tracks will follow. There are multiple tracks available, including the possibility to present Journal papers at the conference. For more information please look at the website.